October 2017 Board Notes
Board Attended: Andy Tso, Kim Hofer, Troy MacDonald, Joe Opsahl, Kevin Ehrler, Renee Vandervelde, Megan Stob
Observers: Jayson Stob, Kale Ganann, Morgan Niemeyer, Heather Bufkin, Rachel Tippett, Patrick Cameron, Tristan Anderson, John Koniges, Matt Sexton, Alli Cassell, Jessica Aronson, Anton Petersen, Diana Sneve
Anime Twin Cities, Inc. Board Meeting October 10, 2017 6:30pm
Waterbury Building; 1121 Jackson St. NE Minneapolis MN 55413
- Open Session
- Coordinator Updates
- Anime Detour
- Media Relations
- Budget Discussion
- Coordinator Goals
- Revised Equipment Rental List
- National Fantasy Fan Federation
- A possible policy of using Anime Detour Badges as prizes for ATC panels at other events.
A Note from Andy regarding Emails, if an email is submitted to the board. Please be careful about sharing that information to individuals outside of the board.
- Budgets for Department Heads are due Saturday, to be discussed at the next board meeting.
- Had a LEG Fund request come in from Chris Ayres; a previous and Alumni guest of honor at Anime Detour. Requested funds to cover dental work that needs to be completed before he continues on to his other medical procedures.
- The Pumpkin Trolley Event is this weekend!
- The goal is to get more events up on the Calendar.
Motion: Troy motions to approve $8,000 for Chris Ayres’ Dental Work to be paid to the offices directly. Gifford Seconded. All in Favor. No Abstentions. Motion Passes
- The Ayres Family has also requested that we establish a GoFund Me, or look into a YouCaring Site to help Chris with the remaining Medical Bills, Anton to work on setting up.
- In follow-up from our approval of funds to go to Sentai Filmworks, Morgan to reach out to Jay to have him fill out the paperwork for the LEG Fund.
- Turned in the budget, discussion to be held later
- Budget has been turned in
- We have several upcoming conventions
- On Sunday November 5, we will be holding our second swap meet
- Our original goal was to hold a cosplay fest; however there was a lack in volunteer response from individuals who have ran workshops before. We have decided to put this on hold for now.
- For the New Year’s Party we will be at the Hilton Airport; this is the Hotel where Marscon is held.
- We have completed our fiscal year; this year’s matching totaled $2,607.86.
- MAP whom we work through for important documents recently changed their name to Propel Non Profits. The individual that we used to work through in MAP recently resigned so they are in the process of finding us a new person to work with.
- Currently in the accounts we have: $219,022.12 in the main checking. $22,148.59 in the LEG Fund.
Agenda: Budget Discussion
- Some general information: both the ATC and the Anime Detour Budgets came under Budget last year!
ATC General Budget
- Space Discussion, our lease is with GPS until end of April in 2019. Would like to look at multiple options for possible new space. Following the end of AD in 2018, start up a committee to go out and look at potential new space options for research.
- Business Cards: Increase the Budget Request from $100 to $300, to allow for us to look at the old designs and potential new ones. Artwork to be completed by 10/24. Vote and have Cards ordered by 10/31. Please submit requests in to the secretary if you are a board member or coordinator that needs new business cards.
- Would like to look at the possibility of switching banks; Wells Fargo charges a lot for their credit card processing. Table until February, so we can test it with the registration system before it opens for 2019.
Andy Motions to approve the ATC Budget Request for $43,855.00 with the increase in the business cards line item. Gifford Seconded. All in Favor. No abstentions. Motion Passes.
For the remaining Budgets; Gifford requests that we see all remaining budget requests and vote at the end of the full discussion.
- There is a budgetary increase from the request last year. We are looking at adding a few new events and potentially changing some of the current ones.
- We had a proposal for a Cosplay on Ice event; this would be a new event. The plan is to hold this event in February at an indoor rink.
- Other updates; our Akihabara event we would like to move this out of GPS and into a hotel type space so that we can offer not just Swap Meet Tables, but also include space for Artists to come sell their artwork. We would charge for these tables to help offset some of the costs.
- Look to decrease the special social events budget request, especially since a lot of the costs that used to be associated in this line item are now their separate.
- There is a budgetary increase from the request last year. We are looking at going to a few more conventions, as well as an increase in some other line items.
- For two of the conventions: ACEN and DaishoCon, the cost is higher as their hotel opening for the following year will open during this budget cycle and we will have a deposit placed on the Credit Card.
- Printing costs went up as we will need to print materials for both the 2018 and the 2019 Anime Detour convention cycle.
- There is a budgetary increase from the request last year.
- This year we will need to purchase more swag; such as pens and the reflectors.
- Discussion to decrease Swag from $2,000 to $1,500.
- There is a budgetary increase from the request last year.
- Some line items the board would like some more detailed information about how the money is to be spent. Suggestion of denying the line item and have our Coordinator bring detailed information to allow for more open discussion.
- Look at cutting the Crunchyroll line item, they offer their streaming services free to clubs and organizations. We just have to use the service at least two times per year, and fill out some forms following the event about what we showed, and how many people were in attendance.
- Decrease the STEM Lego Team Club down to the requested $525.00 with some added cost for tax.
- Cut out the ID Badges; it would be a cool item to have, but it’s something that isn’t necessary.
Andy: 10 Minute Break to think over all of the budgets.
Gifford Motions to strike the $1,000 for the G-Force Coaster Trip with a provisional re-application so that we can receive more detailed information. Joe Seconded. Renee, Kevin, Troy, Joe, and Andy Approves. Kim abstains. Gifford Opposes. Motion Passes.
With this passed motion and the reduction of the other line items discussed above, the new budget total is: $2,545.00
Gifford Motions to approve the $2,545.00 Clubs Budget Request. Renee Seconded. All in favor with Kim abstaining. Erick to submit a proposal for the G-Force Coaster Club Trip with further detailed information.
With the decrease in the swag line item, the budget request is $4,000.00.
Joe Motions to approve the $4,000 Charities Budget Request. Troy Seconded. All in Favor. No abstentions. Motion Passes.
- Renee Suggests removing the dance event from the budget.
With the removal of the dance event and the decrease in the special social events from $1,000.00 to $500.00. The new budget request is $6,680.00
Gifford Motions to approve the $6,680 SOS budget request. Andy Seconded. All in Favor. No abstentions. Motion Passes.
- Gifford recommends that we cut Convergence as well as the funding for one of the Ohio Conventions. This would give Morgan the discretion to decide how she would like to use her budget.
- Morgan would be more than happy to send teams to local conventions to run panels, help create an anime video room or other activities. Moving away from attending some of the local ones. Focusing on ways our team can help the community versus just running a room party.
With the removal of the Convergence Room Party and the $600.00 from one of the Ohio Conventions that brings the requested budget down to $12,757.90.
Gifford Motions to approve the $12,757.90 Media Relations budget request. Joe Seconded. All in favor. No abstentions. Motion Passes.
As the time at the end of discussion was after 9:30 the board decided to post-pone or adjust discussions for the remaining agenda items.
Agenda- Coordinator Goals
- To be emailed to the board and discussed at the November Board Meeting
Agenda- Revised Equipment Rental
- To be postponed until the November Meeting, please look over the documents sent from Diana and Michele about equipment they are comfortable providing.
- Joe and Troy to work with Ben, Diana, Michele, and other department heads that have equipment that is loaned out to other conventions to create a proposal for the equipment rental.
Agenda- National Fantasy Fan Federation
- Discussion to occur via email, final comments and discussion to occur at the next meeting.
Agenda- Possible Policy of using AD badges as prizes at other events
- Jayson to approve any badges to be used for prizes at other events.
Joe Motions to adjourn the meeting. Andy Seconded. All in Favor. Meeting End.